ASA Perspective

From: Don Perrett (don.perrett@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 20:55:49 EST

    SENT ON 3/11/02 TO ORIGINATING PARTY ONLY.

    This being my first entry into the discussion, please bear with me and
    understand that my opinions are based soley on my own understandings and not
    those solicited by others.
    there can in fact be a tie between what Genesis states and science. That is
    to say that with our small and simple understanding of the universe we can
    begin and over time understand what Gods creation was so long as we keep in
    mind that any understanding of the universe we gain must and should
    compliment the scriptures and not go against them. To say that there is
    evidence of a Big Bang and evolution is not to say that this in itself was
    not the effect of creation set forth by God. To say that there can only be
    one is true however in so far as God created the universe through a process
    he established prior to the creation. When someone begins to create
    something we usually take some time to first think of what we wish to create
    and for what purpose. We however do not always end up with what we want and
    sometimes we fail. God however is omnipotent and is able to foresee beyond
    space-time to know in advance the outcomes of anything he wishes to effect
    or create. With this in consideration, God was able to create a simple set
    of programs (we call them laws of science/nature) with which the creation
    would proceed. He understood exactly what the outcome would be and therefore
    contrary to some opinions does not need to entervene very often. Scripture
    does support this idea in that he gave us free will. Again he gave us rules
    and guidlines that if followed we would live in peace and happiness. Some
    say our fall from grace already occured through Adam and we now suffer for
    that error. I submit that we continue to commit this offense in that we
    continually follow our minds and not our soul/heart through the Lord's
    guidance. A brief look at Genesis with unbiased eyes would lead one to the
    conclusion that it is not coincidental that the days of creation are in the
    same order as evolution. Many are beginning to understand the connection.
    As for the creation of Adam, the debate seems to be a question of time. If
    one can accept that evolution was God's creation, then we must begin to
    accept that man did evolve and that the creation of Adam (man) was in facta
    soulful act. That is to say that man alreay existed and on day six, God made
    their image by giving the most advanced species on the planet a soul. God
    has no physical state and therefore to make in his image can only be
    spiritual in nature. If God's intent was to create a vessel for the soul
    would he not want to give us one that could begin to understand him and his
    creation. I would submit that our main purpose in life is to understand and
    worship him. This can be aided through scientific understanding of his
    creation but must of course rely on our faith in the unknown and acceptance
    of his word.

    Don Perrett at don.perrett@verizon.net