Re: ASA Perspective

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 18:57:33 EST

    In a message dated Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:27:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, Walter Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com> writes:

    > Steamdoc Said
    >
    > > What is relatively "new" is the idea that this 144-hour interpretation is *essential* to the Christian faith. Maybe it is a bit sloppy to use "YEC" to refer to the view that not only the earth is young, but also that a young Earth is an essential doctrine. But since that is the view usually expressed by most young-Earth advocates, it is understandable to use the term YEC to refer to that commonly occurring pair of positions.
    >
    > I have only had in depth, personal discussions with one YEC. He
    > definitely did NOT hold to that position and he stated that very few
    > YECs do. He looked upon me as a Christian and I did the same with him.

    For Walt's sake I should have been clearer about what I meant. When I said YEC "advocates," I was referring to the *leaders and spokesmen* of that movement. Sure, there are many people in the pews like Walt's friend who believe the Earth is young but accept that a faithful Christian could disagree. As Burgy mentioned, even some leaders of the YEC movement may admit that in private. But if you read a YEC book or see a YEC presentation, almost always the message will be that YEC is the *only* Christian position.

    Allan Harvey, steamdoc@aol.com