RE: ASA Perspective

From: Woodward Norm Civ WRALC/TIEDM (Norm.Woodward@robins.af.mil)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 15:41:44 EST

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Jim Eisele [mailto:jeisele@starpower.net]
    Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 8:15 AM
    To: asa@calvin.edu
    Cc: burgytwo@juno.com
    Subject: Re: ASA Perspective

    Jim wrote

    In his book Creation and Time (1994), Hugh Ross claims that more
    than 99% of America's practicing scientists view a young earth as a
    more far-fetched notion than a flat earth.

    _____________
    I have read that 67.9% of all statistics found on the Internet was invented
    by the writer on the spot. (Your figures may vary...) However, since this
    statistic was accompanied by a citation, I would hope that its author would
    have a flair for hyperbole, which is acceptable in the right circumstances.
    Or, if the data is to be taken at face value, then the survey question might
    have been somewhat slanted, like "which would you more readily accept:
    that the earth appears flat from a sea level vantage point or that you are
    older than the earth?"
    But then a much more horrific thought occurred to me...have our scientists
    been so well indoctrinated that they are more willing to accept an old earth
    concept, which can only substantiated through indirect measurement or, in
    most cases, "authoritative literature" versus a round earth concept, which
    can be substantiated through direct observation.
    If the latter is the case, please take care in the use of the word "cult."
    Norm Woodward
    Warner Robins GA