Re: ASA Perspective

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 09:49:24 EST

    >>What is relatively "new" is the idea that this 144-hour interpretation
    is *essential* to the Christian faith. Maybe it is a bit sloppy to use
    "YEC" to refer to the view that not only the earth is young, but also
    that a young Earth is an essential doctrine. But since that is the view
    usually expressed by most young-Earth advocates, it is understandable to
    use the term YEC to refer to that commonly occurring pair of positions.

    If the word "essential" in the above has the meaning that one cannot be a
    Christian w/o a YEC faith, then I respectfully disagree. I think most
    persons here would accept what Henry Morris says on that subject. My
    personal testimony on this is that henry said to me, in a lunch in Dallas
    in 1988, that he accepted that a person could have a non-YEC view and
    still be a Christian. He added that he, personally, could not understand
    how they could hold such a diverse view, but that he accepted that it
    could happen.

    About the same time he told me this personally, my recollection is that
    he said much the same thing in print in one of the ICR "Acts & Facts"
    series. However, I no longer have that leaflet around, so I have to speak
    from memory.

    If the word "essential" is taken in a weaker sense, that is, a YEC view
    is essential to a complete and logical understanding of Christianity,
    then I have no problem with the statement, and, I think, Henry Morris
    uses it in this sense.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, philosophy and much more)