Re: ASA Perspective

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 12:24:54 EST

    Norm.Woodward wrote:

    > But then a much more horrific thought occurred to me...have our scientists
    > been so well indoctrinated that they are more willing to accept an old earth
    > concept, which can only substantiated through indirect measurement or, in
    > most cases, "authoritative literature" versus a round earth concept, which
    > can be substantiated through direct observation.

    When I decided to pursue science, I was already in something like
    my third year of college studying liberal arts (specifically music).
    I knew very little math, never took high school physics, had lost
    interest in the first week of high school biology. In short, I began
    from near absolute zero.

    I was possessed with an ambition to learn it all, and did not
    believe anything that I could not convince myself of without
    some reasonable validation. My textbooks are often scribbled
    with notes and comments, and workings through of the textbook
    descriptions. I couldn't conquer it all, but I certainly made
    no small attempt at checking things for myself. Most clearly,
    in graduate school, I found sometimes the work load to evaluation
    of truth became more and more difficult to keep in sync. That
    level of disbelief in what is written in some stupid book has
    proven to be wiser than I thought now that I am as a research
    scientist in fact.

    I have certainly fallen far short of my original goals, and
    mainly what I have learned in all of that intense scramble to
    gain understanding is how little I know and how vastly bigger
    the world becomes with each infinitesimally small grasp of
    understanding I achieve.

    Whereas I never began with a YEC picture of the world in my
    study of science, I never felt for a moment that my instructors
    (who included geology, chemistry and physics) were trying to
    pull the wool over my eyes. Their goals were generally to
    educate, and my goal was to learn and gain understanding. I
    do not always feel that way. For example, recent claims that
    our universe simply popped into existence certainly raise some
    objections I never felt inclined to direct at most of my
    instructors.

    Was I indoctrinated? Whereas my grade point average was
    fairly high, there were at least a few instructors I did
    have it out with, and I didn't consider the grade a
    sufficient motivation for me keeping quite if I disagreed
    with something fundamentally. If this amounts to indoctrination,
    well then fine, so it is.

    It wouldn't surprise me if there are other people on this
    list who can say similar things at some period of their
    life (not necessary starting from the beginning of their
    science education but somewhere either in-between or even
    after graduating).

    In short, as adults, trained in some level of skepticism,
    I suspect you are pushing your luck to say that the majority
    of us were "indoctrinated" to this view of science. Most
    of us are probably willing to revise our views IF we see
    some truly convincing evidence. I don't expect that most of
    people on this list would find their world view shaken if
    they found out that the earth was actually created in 144
    hours. I suspect the reason why they accept evolution and
    an old earth is because they were convinced by the evidence.

    by Grace we do proceed,
    Wayne