Re: ASA Perspective

From: SteamDoc@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 00:18:04 EST

    In a message dated 3/11/02 10:04:17 PM Mountain Standard Time,
    wallyshoes@mindspring.com writes:

    > At the risk of falsely aligning myself with the ideas of Allen Roy, I
    > must say that it is CLEARLY RIDICULOUS for ASA members to say that "YEC
    > is a new and USA phenomenon".

    I think there are different aspects of the term "YEC" in play here.
    Certainly for many years there were many people who saw God's creative work
    as 6 24-hour days 6000 years ago (though others can document that this has by
    no means been the universal view of the church, as evidenced for example in
    the writings of Augustine).

    What is relatively "new" is the idea that this 144-hour interpretation is
    *essential* to the Christian faith. Maybe it is a bit sloppy to use "YEC" to
    refer to the view that not only the earth is young, but also that a young
    Earth is an essential doctrine. But since that is the view usually expressed
    by most young-Earth advocates, it is understandable to use the term YEC to
    refer to that commonly occurring pair of positions.

    Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
    "Any opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be
     attributed to my employer, my wife, or my cats"