Re: ASA Perspective

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Sun Mar 10 2002 - 16:54:43 EST

    Jim asked: "How can we get the ICR to have a LISTSERV like the ASA does?"

    Long years ago -- about 1988, I posed exactly that sort of a question to
    my friend Duane Gish of ICR. Yes, I consider him my friend -- I have no
    reason to think he does not reciprocate.

    I had posed it even earlier that 1988 in the form of letters to other
    creationists.

    The consistent story I have received from them over the years is that,
    due to their minority status, such a LISTSERV would be quickly overrun
    and dominated by persons who did not share their position. They have had
    such a service in the past, by the way, but to become enabled to use it
    one had to subscribe to substantially all of their positions.

    Partially as a result of long frustration at all this, I wrote a book
    review on Moris's key book, SCIENCE AND THE BIBLE, which appears both on
    the ASA website as well as my own. I have also publicized it on
    Compuserve's RELIGION forum, where I've served as a sysop for about 10
    years.

    ICR's fear of what would happen is probably well-founded. In the early
    years of Compuserve's RELIGION forum, ICR-trained persons showed up
    frequently. Few stayed around very long after their screwy ideas had been
    hacked to shreds. Only one, as I recall, was able to defend "the faith"
    with any legitimacy or integrity.

    So -- don't hold your breath on ICR doing anything like the ASA did. It
    is not in them to do so.

    another example comes to mind. At one time the ASA sponsored TWO
    LISTSERVs, the other was called the EVOLUTION LISTSERV. That one was
    started by Phil Johnson, who gave up on it about a year after starting on
    exactly the basis I speak of above -- the few people that showed up to
    argue his case and the plethora of critics who quickly dominated
    discussions.

    As you know, we have a couple YECs who lurk here and sometimes post. They
    have a rough time of it because so many of us are quick to jump on their
    arguments. When you get six rebuttals to a single post, it does not take
    too long to determine that answering them is not a good use of time.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, philosophy and much more)