cosmology & polygamy

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 08:03:17 EDT

            There is often resistance to the idea that the Holy Spirit & the
    biblical writers accomodated themselves to scientific understandings of
    the world of their times & cultures, views which we now know to be very
    limited or wrong. The same people seem to have no problem accepting
    this with some of the morality accepted in scripture.
            Polygamy is perhaps the most obvious example. Many of the
    heroes of the OT had lots of wives, concubines &c & nothing at all is
    said in condemnation of this. Some of the consequences may be bad, like
    Solomon's wives leading him to idolatry, but polygamy itself isn't
    condemned. N.B. This isn't simply a matter of reporting historical
    facts. Polygamy is not only reported but is accepted.
            There are other examples. David is a man after God's own heart,
    except for the Bathsheba-Uriah affair. But what about the protection
    racket he's running in I Samuel 25, as well as other less than
    progressive aspects of his tactics & policies?
            & of course there's the whole holy war business with
    extermination of populations &c, and slavery. Again, these are not
    simply reported but approved & even commanded.
            This kind of argument has often been used in village-atheist
    type Bible debunking & I do NOT want to use it in that way. But such
    examples do make it very clear that the biblical writers, and ultimately
    the Holy Spirit, accomodated themselves to moral behaviors which the
    Jewish and Christian communities would eventually find unacceptable.
            So why is it so hard to believe that the biblical writers and
    the Holy Spirit could have accomodated themselves to a now-outdated
    cosmology?

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy