Re: cosmology & polygamy

From: John (Burgy) Burgeson (hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 13:50:07 EDT

    Neil write:
    >where in Numb.31:17-18 does the text say "rape"? Is this your own
    interpretation of the Hebrew text? I think the passage is means that while
    the troops killedthe men of Midian, they spared the women and children, and
    took them into domestic service. Do please correct me if your knowledge of
    Hebrew is more substantial than the editorial panel of the NIV. I am always
    happy to learn.>>

    1. I have no knowledge of Hebrew.
    2. Here is what I find in the Berkeley version of scripture. Capitalization
    is mine:

    17: Now KILL EVERY young boy and EVERY woman who has had intercourse with a
    man.
    18: EVERY young girl, however, who has not had intercourse with a man you
    may keep alive for yourself.

    Now if the NIV editors think that means taking those children "into domestic
    service," I will assert that the "domestic service" they refer to
    necessarily included that of forced concubinage. We have a 21st century
    phrase for that particular activity -- forced rape. The activity in verse 17
    has another 21st century phrase -- terrorism. One may fairly argue which is
    the more unethical. But I can see no arguments at all for describing them as
    moral in any sense of the word.

    Sincerely

    John