Re: cosmology & polygamy

From: John (Burgy) Burgeson (hoss_radbourne@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 10:18:41 EDT

    robert6625 wrote: "Following is my present rationale.

    In Gen 15:12 - 15 God explains to Abraham that his descendants are to be set
    aside for 400 years while He deals with the Amorites, one of the tribes in
    the land of Cannan. We know that God had a spokesman among the Cannanites
    because Melchizedek, described as a priest of God, is King of Salem, a
    Cannanite city. There were undoubtly more witnesses but that part of the
    story is not recorded. After 400 years of God's dealing and appealing to the
    Cannanites what was the result? The reason for God's judgement on the
    Cannanites is vividly described in Deut 9:1 - 6; 12:29 - 32; 18:9 - 13;
    20:16 - 18. God gave 2 reasons for asking Israel to destroy the peoples in
    Cannan; because of their wickedness and so that Israel would not learn their
    wicked practices. In other words God was using Israel to enact judgement on
    the Cannanites. Judgement is not a pretty sight but God did give the
    Cannanite tribes a 400 year window of opportunity, but they rejected it."

    With all due respect, that rationale has an odor to it which is not
    pleasant. I smell the blood of babies, small children, and all kinds of
    people who had no say in whatever the "bad tribe" did. Not a "pretty sight?"
    Surely that has to be among the understatements of the year on this list.
    What kind of a sight was it? We have all seen pictures of the NAzi camps in
    1945. Worse than that.

    JB