Re: cosmology & polygamy

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 14:01:16 EDT

    >From: george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>

    > There are indeed ways in which the pictures of the Amalekite-slaying God
    > in scripture can be subordinated to those like the verse I cited from Ps.103 -
    > especially the character of God revealed in Christ. But that requires some
    > positive hermeneutic principle, not an approach that, whether one intends it
    > or not, diminishes the authority of the whole of scripture.

    It seems to me that in either case (employing a set of carefully-crafted
    hermeneutic principles; or employing a modified concept of biblical
    authority) we need to exercise human judgment as candidly and as
    thoughtfully as possible. Thoroughly human actions are required either way.
    I see nothing wrong with that; life entails choices every day.

    Howard