Re: cosmology & polygamy

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 12:27:06 EDT

    George,

    While I'm not sure exactly where I come down on the issue of
    accomodation as a general principle. A question here is "is there a
    difference between accomodationist language and phenomenological
    language (e.g., the sun rising and setting--we still use that
    language despite our nearly universal knowledge that it is the earth
    which moves and not the sun)?"

    I'm not sure of all your examples:

    1. polygamy -- Jesus points to the creation account as the basis for
    the argument against divorce/polygamy. Why it was tolerated/not
    condemned in the OT is a different question, but I think that the
    norm is there.

    2.holy war/genocide -- Are you familiar with intrusion ethics--the
    idea that the final judgment intrudes into this present age? On this
    point, if the final judgment and destruction of the wicked is just,
    then so is this divinely commanded judgment against the Canannites. I
    don't think there is any Biblical warrant for such activity today,
    but I don't have a problem with it.

    3. slavery -- Again, a Biblical case can and has been made (by the
    Old School Presbyterians) for the institution of slavery. I'm not
    sure that slavery in and of itself is wrong (other than a consequence
    of the fall). Ill-treatment of slaves is immoral, as was, the
    18th-19th century slave trade. But, I'm not sure that I can declare
    immoral a "kind and gentle" slavery of prisoners of war or of
    criminals or a voluntary slavery for economic security. Of course, in
    modern America we don't see such slavery, but I'm not so sure that
    I'm ready to declare it un-Biblical.

    4. protection racket -- I'll have to look at that again, but being a
    man after God's own heart did not make everything he did right. And
    just because the Biblical account no where condemns such an action
    doesn't me that we approve it. Hopefully, we know enough about
    Biblical interpretation to not use history as a basis for ethics.

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523