Re: cosmology & polygamy

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 20:43:16 EDT

    >From: Adrian Teo <ateo@whitworth.edu>

    > hvt: Neither my writings nor any other works written during the last 19
    > centuries have been designated (by human decision) to serve as the canon for a
    > worshiping community.
    >
    > [AT] Side note: What about the Koran?

    You're quite right; my statement was too broad. I was thinking only of the
    traditional Christian community. One could also ask about the Book of
    Morman.

    > [AT] You seem to have reduced the formation of the canon to a purely
    > sociological process - "very human" as you write. Where do you see God's
    > role in this, if at all? And what about the individual books, are they
    > _solely_ human actions, of does divine inspiration play a role? I can't help
    > but think that you would be willing to grant God a significant role in the
    > processes of writing and collating the books.

    Yes, but recall what I said earlier: "So, ... I am inclined instead to move
    in the direction of another view of the Bible. (3) The (Christian) Bible is
    a thoroughly human testimony to the authentic human experience of the
    presence of the Sacred -- specifically, God, as experienced by the ancient
    Hebrews and the early Christian community."

    So, the "significant role" is God's participation in the human experience of
    God's presence. The authentic experience of God's presence is the
    inspiration. What is written in response is a "thoroughly human testimony"
    to that experience.

    The concept of inspiration that I find highly problematic is the rather
    pervasive idea that inspiration = a direct communication of particular
    information from the divine Mind to the human writer's mind, thereby
    conveying privileged information (say, about the formational history of the
    universe) that must then (because it was directly transmitted by God) be
    declared "inerrant."

    Question: What does it mean to call the Bible "the Word of God"? (I ask with
    curiosity to discover what that title means to people on the list.)

    You asked about the process of selecting and collating the particular
    contributions to the canon. I see that as a thoroughly human process of a
    worshiping community constructing a canon that expresses its best judgment
    about how that community's experience of God can be captured in writing. Did
    God act in such a way as to ensure a particular outcome of that process? I
    sincerely doubt that.

    Enough heresy (= minority position) for one post.

    Howard Van Till