Racism and YEC (WAS:Four items of possible controversy)

From: Ted Davis (TDavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 08:16:15 EST

    Let's slow down here.

    Yes, some YEC materials, esp those by Henry Morris, contain opinions that
    many would regard as "racist." And yes, there is some hypocrisy here, since
    it has long been a central plank of YEC that evolution leads to racism--as
    it also leads allegedly to promiscuity, homosexuality, abortion, communism,
    and Nazism. I probably forgot to mention a few other things.

    But similar comments (to those of Morris) are not found in many younger YEC
     authors. Let me quote from a little pamphlet I have from Answers in
    Genesis, called "Where Did the 'Races' Come From?" by Ken Ham, Karl Wieland,
    and Don Batten (1999). It is avowedly anti-racist, and does not repeat the
    slop given by Morris. It even advises readers to discard the word "race"
    itself, calling it an "evolutionized" term. The Bible does not use the
    word, as it points out. The "so-called 'racial characteristics' are only
    minor variations among the people groups," and "are absolutely trivial."
    "There is really only one race--the human race." IT also even stresses that
    "evolutionists would now agree that the various people groups did not have
    separate origins," an interesting admission given earlier statements in the
    same pamphlet that clearly blame evolution for racism. (Those statements
    point to the long history of scientific racism--an absolutely fair
    target--the problem here is that they continue to blame evolution today for
    its sordid history on this very issue.)

    "The belief that the skin color of black people is a result of a curse on
    Ham and his descendents is taught nowhere in the Bible. ... False teaching
    about Ham has been used to justify slavery and other non-Biblical, racist
    attitudes."

    "When Christians legalistically impose non-Biblical ideas such as 'no
    inter-racial marriage' onto their culture, they are helping to perpetuate
    prejudices that have often arisen from evolutionary influences."

    Finally, what used to be called "inter-racial marriage" is expressly
    endorsed, since all humans are of one "race." The only inter-marriage the
    authors caution against, involves the believer and the unbeliever.

    We would all probably endorse most of this pamphlet.

    ted