Re: Racism and YEC (WAS:Four items of possible controversy)

From: Ted Davis (TDavis@messiah.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 08:09:43 EST

    I wrote:
    Thus, the ultimate irony: the competition seen in human economic behavior
    becomes the driving force in evolution, which in turn is read back into
    human society to justify ubridled competition.

    Rich responded:

    Here is your error. The competition seen in human economic behavior
    doesn't
     BECOME the driving force in evolution because of anyhting
    perpetrated
    in the 19th century. It has always BEEN the driving force in evolution!

    It is written in Ezra that:

    "The land which you are entering and will possess is a polluted land,
    polluted by the foreign population with their abominable practices, which
    have made
    it unclean from end to end. Therefore do not give your daughters in
    marriage
    to their sons, and do not marry your sons to their daughters, and never
    seek
    their welfare or prosperity. Thus you will be strong and enjoy the good
    things
    of the land, and pass it on to your children as an everlasting
    possession."

    There is a Biblical reference for your unbridled competition.

    Ted responds:
    Sure, Rich, people have competed for land and other resources for a very
    long time, within and outside of Palestine. Who would deny this? My point
    concerns the content of a modern scientific theory, and that content does
    derive from other modern ideas about competition in the economic sphere.
    Now yes, one might then say that Smith and Malthus and others were informed
    by their observations of (age old) human behavior. So what? The
    *practices* we associated with social Darwinism have been around since
    Biblical times and earlier, but the *scientific justification* for those
    practices, in terms of Darwinism itself, is obviously quite recent in
    appearance. Ask Thomas Jefferson, and he would have told you that "science"
    led to the conclusion that "all men are created equal," even though it is
    abundantly clear that we aren't. One major point of social Darwinism, was
    to take "scientific" conclusions about the whole of nature originally
    inspired by observations of human economic behavior and apply them back into
    the human sphers, *in order to justify* more of the same practices. In
    other words, what we have always done is exactly what we ought to keep
    doing, *and it is fully scientific* to do so--that is, Christian moral
    principles are not only unscientific, they are *wrong* because they are
    unscientific.

    I don't think that what you are saying, is inconsistent with what I said.
    If you still think so, please reread what I said.

    ted