Re: Racism and YEC (WAS:Four items of possible controversy)

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 13:22:45 EST

    To look at YEC and Racism historically ;

    1. The SBC was formed in 1845 at least in part in opposition to slave-owning
    by the "northern" Baptists.
    2. The Southern Presbyterians like Dabney in the 1860s adopted a 6 day
    creationism and rejection of geology to buttress their views of the sons of
    Ham and support of slavery.
    3. Bob Jones Univ a bastion of YEC teaching in science has only in recent
    years allowed non-whites to be students and I believe still bans
    "inter-racial " dating.
    4. In the 60s Duyevene de Wit of the Univ of Potchefstrom (which I have
    driven through) in the Orange Free State in South Africa wrote an YEC book
    which I am sure was republished by Presbyterain and Reformed (who published
    TGF in 1961). He, according to Russell Maatman of Dordt, argued that
    non-whites were a degeneration of Adam. Apartheid was also anti
    evolutionary, and comes out in Afrikaner ideas of "Christian Higher
    Education". Evolution was not taught in the OFS.
    5. Henry Morris the founder father of modern YEC argued for racism as Glenn
    a nd I quoted in a book published in 1991, which is very recent. Morris has
    received no criticism for that racism and is still respected by YEC. That
    raises moral doubts about YEC. Morris of course is the founder etc of ICR
    and thus that organisation should be seen as morally suspect. Surely Ken Ham
    et al should have lambasted H Morris for his racism and not just the
    evolutionist, who have had a drubbing from the likes of Gould and Ruse.

    Both "evolutionist" (but not Charles Darwin) and YEC have a sordid past on
    racism, both need to be acknowledged and not used selectively as a moral
    put-you-down.
    The main problem is that recently "evolutionists " have not been racist but
    the founder and doyen of YEC has. It is fair to judge him and his movement
    in the same way as they condemn us, but with a modicum of Christian love and
    charity which is frequently denied to us apostate Christians who accept that
    earth is more than 10,000 years old.

    I know Ted is trying to be eirenic but we should speak out about immorality.

    Michael