Re: Racism and YEC (WAS:Four items of possible controversy)

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 18:51:51 EST

    Jan wrote:

    > In general one may say that "Science" is something that is based on our
    > look at "nature". It is not something that is free from a basic "outlook
    > on life." So, if in our outlook on life we look down on
    > "different-coloured" people, than in our science we take that outlook
    > along. If then we have never given these people a chance to go to school,
    > than it is easy to say that they have less intelligence. We forget easily
    > that science, knowing etc. have nothing in common with intelligence.
    > The same things happen today as well, but we do not see it because we have
    > taken the belief of our upbringing with us. I hear it regularly: "It is
    > their own fault that they are poor, or are homeless. We made it, and we
    > are immigrants. So they are just lazy." Apart from the fact that in that
    > way we can escape our responsibility, I know people who honestly believe
    > it, and would be willing to write it down as well.

    Indeed, the more I truly understand, the more I can see
    my own face reflected in the faces of the people I judge.
    How easy it was in those days when I had all the answers
    and understood everything perfectly well.

    Some of the problem with science is the use of analogy.
    It is very powerful, and it does help to understand a
    concept, but as usual, when taken too far, it
    can run amok. This is particularly the case when a
    person has been brought up with views they feel some
    need to "justify". Perhaps subconsciously they already
    sense that there is something wrong, but what better
    rationale could one grasp for than science. After all,
    "science proves..."

    I think scientists have come to be a bit more concerned
    that their discoveries could be used for loathsome purposes.
    But we are less conscious that our analogies may be
    used to commit atrocities as well.

    By Grace alone we proceed,
    Wayne