Trouble with Adam and Eve

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 06:32:24 EDT

    At: http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/genes/dna_detectives/adam_and_eve.shtml

    There is neat story about the mtDNA Eve and the XY Chromosome Adam. By
    these reports all men have a common male ancestor -maybe 60,000 years
    ago. All women have a common female ancestor - maybe 150,00 years ago.
    Then it says:

    "Adam never met Eve. It might seem strange but - in genetic terms - Adam
    never met Eve. They lived approximately 85,000 years apart. You might
    ask how this is possible. The answer is simple. Each region of the human
    genome has a different evolutionary history. It turns out there is more
    than one Adam or Eve depending which part of the genome you are looking
    at."

    If every man in the world can trace his father's father's father back to
    this "Adam", then how can there be any different father back there. I
    know for a fact that only had one father and my sister only had one
    mother. Ah, you say, through the paternal grandfather for me and through
    maternal grandmother for sis. But that only works if the former had no
    male children and the later had no female children. Otherwise, they
    could back through the same chain to Adam/Eve.

    Where does all the cross breeding fit in?

    Something is eluding me. Can someone (say Glenn) help?

    Oh, and how can we know that all of the billions on this earth have the
    same mtDNA and XY-DNA anyhow?

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>