RE: Trouble with Adam and Eve

From: Glenn Morton (glenn.morton@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 08:31:25 EDT

    Walter, no one can claim that all of the descendants of all those non-Adam's
    died off. All it means is that those lineages all lead eventually to
    daughters. Similarly with mtDNA Eve. All the lineages of the other women
    eventually lead to sons. But that says nothing about the nuclear chromosome
    genes which may be passed on down to future generations through their
    daughters or sons respectively.

    Shreve illustrates this:
          "Let's say you are an anthropologist sometime in the
    future,' he told me over dessert. 'You go to West Chicago and
    find fifteen hundred families living there, all named Gablinski
    and all descended from immigrags from Gdansk. It will look like
    these thousands of Gablinskis were the descendants of a single
    Gablinski couple who came over from Poland. Through hard work
    they succeeded, becoming more numerous through the generations
    and eventualoly replacing all their neighbors. But what if there
    had been not just the Gablinskis who came to West Chicago, but
    thousands of Poles with thousands of different names? Every time
    one of these families had a generation without sons, you'd lose a
    family name, right? Eventually, you'd come down to just one name
    left: Gablinski! If you buy the Out of Gdansk theory like the
    people who jump on the Out of Africa bandwagon, you'll assume
    that ;they all came from that one original couple. But you'll be
    making a mistake.
          "Wolpoff's analogy is not just hypothetical. John Avise, a
    geneticist at the University of Georgia who also works on mtDNA,
    has pointed to the case of Pitcairn Island in the South Pacific.
    In 1790, six mutineers from H.M.S Bounty arrived on the tiny
    island, bringing thriteen Tahitian women with them. Few others
    have ever gone there to live. Recently, a population of fifty
    people on the island shared only four surnames, and one of these
    was that of a whaler who had later settled on Pitcairn. Thus in
    only six or seven generations, 50 percent of the six original
    surnames had already disappeared. After a few more generations,
    only one will remain."~James R. Shreeve, The Neandertal Enigma,
    (New York: William Morrow and Co., 1995), p. 77

    personal stories of struggle