Re: Trouble with Adam and Eve

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 19:11:19 EDT

    Many thanks to Marcio and Glenn for the details of what these "first
    ancestors" mean. I still would like to pursue the mtDNA and Y-Chromosome
    a bit further if I might.

    Please let it be clear that I am not at all looking for a Biblical
    aspect of this area. I am simply interested in the evolutionary aspects.

    Sticking with the Y-chromosome: I see how genes in general can swap back
    and forth and how any given gene would have an ancestor back in the past
    somewhere. In the Y-chromosome it is easier to think about, if for no
    other reason than that it passes only from father to son and also the
    time scale seems so short!.

    Back some 100K years ago we have one man who has passed his
    chromosome to the entire human race. I wonder about the other humans
    who lived at that time. Certainly there were in the order of 100K men
    who had a different Y-chromosome. What happened to them? Apparently
    their descendents all died off. Would I expect that to be true? Heck no!
    --- unless they were genetically inferior. It seems really weird for
    that to have happened simply as a matter of course. In 100K years with
    an generally expanding population, I would expect the human race to have
    Y-chromosomes for many different sets of "Adams" back at that time in
    the not-so-distant-past.

    If you can bear with me, what is wrong with that reasoning?

    Walt

    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must
    exist true but not provable statements.