Re: Trouble with Adam and Eve

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 15:31:27 EDT

    >One cannot argue with the data, so it must have happened. Why it
    >happened, seems to require more that a simple example of how one
    >randomly selected line can die out. I can generate examples where
    >each line should increase without limit, unless some competition
    >exists with limited resources ---- then it is easy.<

    The limits to total population size provide the limiting resources.
    The basic assumption is that each starting individual has a certain
    probability of contributing genes to the next generation, which has a
    certain size. Even if there is no difference in evolutionary merit
    between two alleles in a population, random fluctuations in
    reproductive success will produce varying proportions of the alleles
    in the next generation. Such random walks in a finite population
    will eventually result in the disappearance of alleles. Thus, a
    small population loses alleles rapidly whereas large populations
    change slowly. Even negative alleles have some chance of becoming
    established. The relative benefit conveyed by the allele, the
    initial proportions of the alleles, the rate of mutation, and the
    population size (including any changes it is undergoing) are among
    the important factors.

    Graur and Li, Molecular Evolution, Sinauer Press have a good
    discussion if you can get ahold of a copy. It is expensive but might
    be in university libraries.

    The analogy of surnames is good in that it is fairly obvious that
    little selective pressure exists, yet changes clearly take place. A
    standard example comes from Johann Sebastien Bach. Despite his
    having about 20 kids, no one since the mid-1800's has inherited the
    Bach name from his descendants (nor his Y chromosome).

         Dr. David Campbell
         Old Seashells
         University of Alabama
         Biodiversity & Systematics
         Dept. Biological Sciences
         Box 870345
         Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 USA
         bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com

    That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted
    Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at
    Droigate Spa