Re: Trouble with Adam and Eve

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 06:34:05 EDT

    Glenn Morton wrote:

> [...]

    I understand that, but it is exactly what I meant, Glenn. I should have
    more clearly said the direct male descendants (Y-chromosome only). I
    have heard the argument that sooner or later all but one MUST die out. I
    can buy it only if there is some reason why that one is very much better
    than all the others. The argument that 99,999 out of 100,000 must
    automatically die out (the male chain only) and at the same time say
    that the 1 remaining produces a lineage of 1,000,000,00 men certainly
    has to look a bit fishy. I know zip about genetic details but I usually
    am fair at logic, math and probabilities.

    One cannot argue with the data, so it must have happened. Why it
    happened, seems to require more that a simple example of how one
    randomly selected line can die out. I can generate examples where each
    line should increase without limit, unless some competition exists with
    limited resources ---- then it is easy.

    Walt

    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must