Re: Trouble with Adam and Eve

From: Lucien Carroll (ucarrl01@umail.ucsb.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 16:54:37 EDT

    I don't think its that difficult to see why only one Y-chromosome
    lineage would eventually be left. Consider the simplified case of
    100,000 men and 100,000 women, and let each of them have two children.
    That next generation, only 75000 of the 100000 original Y-chromosome
    lineages will be represented. Each generation, you lose another quarter
    of the contemporary lineages, until after some N generations, 100000 *
    (3/4)^N =~1 . If you assume a higher birth rate, and let the rate vary
    stochastically across the population, you will still have lineages
    dropping out, just at a much slower rate. On a smaller scale, we have
    the case of last names on Pitcairn island, where the survivors of the
    Bounty settled. Out of several dozen men, only a handful of last names
    are now represented. Similarly in China, where family names have been
    relatively stable for a couple millenia, 200 family names account for
    96% of the population.

    Lucien.

    --
    Lucien S Carroll  ucarrl01@umail.ucsb.edu
    "All mankind is stupid, devoid of knowledge."