Re: Trouble with Adam and Eve

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 22:54:38 EDT

    Walt,
    Let me give you a concrete illustration regarding the loss of a Y. My
    maternal grandfather had three daughters. His Y was not passed on. My
    paternal grandfather had two sons. The elder had a daughter and two sons,
    one of whom died young. The surviiving son had one son (Keith) and three
    daughters. The younger son had me and my sister. I have a son and
    daughter, but my son has only one child, a girl. So, unless Keith has a
    son, the Y from neither side will be passed down this line. If the Ys are
    to continue to be passed down, it may be that one has to consider the
    sibs of the grandparents. It is not a sure thing. Also note that it
    doesn't have to be connected to fitness.

    As to ancient practice, consider that it was common for a conqueror to
    kill all the men and keep the women, although it was possible that all
    the residents were massacred. An entire lineage could be lost quickly.
    Dave