Why I don't reject ID

From: Nucacids@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 21:17:33 EDT

    I see that this list is loaded with postings critical of ID. So why in the
    world would I consider ID so seriously? The obvious answer would be that
    I am either too stupid, dishonest, and/or motivated by non-rational urges.
    I suppose this is understandable since the vast majority of those who
    are critical of ID impose the old "anti-evolution/creationist" template
    on the ID position and that template carries (deservedly or undeservedly)
    the common perceptions of "stupidity, dishonesty, and/or non-rational
    motivations." Human beings have a deep-rooted need to categorize
    each other, especially when dealing with people who look or think
    differently than them. The "us vs. them" attitude is so much a part
    of humanity that it should not surprise anyone that it would also
    appear in discussions on origins.

    With that said, I sure can say that being a proponent of ID can often
    be a pain in the butt. Luckily, I have always enjoyed arguing
    for minority positions and adopting a maverick outlook on reality.
    Nevertheless, the shear hostility and suspicion that is often entailed
    in debates about these issues can be quite wearisome. And this is
    all the more true when you consider that the opposition to ID is
    so numerous and entrenched in positions of power. Given the
    powerful negative social dynamics that can come from
    seriously proposing ID, perhaps I would have to be stupid or
    motivated by some crusade to withstand such winds. But that
    is not the case.

    There is one thing that causes me to take ID seriously and it is
    that I have found it to be so darn useful for framing both questions
    and hypotheses about the biological world. Just in the last year,
    ID has been very helpful in formulating some rather specific
    hypotheses about such unrelated phenomena as transcription,
    the general state of the cytoplasm, rubisco, enolase function
    in degradosomes, and the distribution of dnaK-dnaJ-grpE genes
    in Archaea, along with various other minor phenomena. Why
    would I abandon ID when I am under the growing conviction
    that this is just the tip of the iceberg?

    Thus, for me, the vast majority of anti-ID arguments have
    become noisy background chatter. I have no interest in
    trying to prove ID or insert ID into anyone's science
    curricula. My interest in not in getting anyone else to
    concede or agree, because that really doesn't matter. My
    interest is in whether ID systematically works to help us
    understand biotic reality. The world is the real judge and
    not some community of people.

    Mike