Re: Why I don't reject ID

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 04:10:17 EDT

    From: Stephen E. Jones <sejones@iinet.net.au>

    [...]
    >Here is an example of how a type of `design inference' made a major
    >contribution to science:

    >In 1952, Ed Salpeter, an American astrophysicist, suggested (more or
    >less in desperation) that carbon-12 might be produced in a very rapid
    >two-step process, with two alpha particles colliding to form a nucleus
    >of beryllium-8, which was then in turn hit by a third alpha particle in
    >the 10^-17 seconds before it had time to disintegrate. Since this did at
    >least give 10^-17 seconds for the third particle to arrive, instead of
    >requiring three to meet simultaneously, it was an improvement on the
    >triple-collision idea. But since the arrival of a third particle might very
    >effectively smash the unstable beryllium-8 nucleus to bits, it wasn't
    >much of an improvement. Then, Fred Hoyle, who had, back in 1946
    >written a classic paper expounding the idea that the chemical elements
    >were made in stars, entered the story.
    >
    >Hoyle's Anthropic Insight
    >
    >Hoyle (now Sir Fred) was based in Cambridge, England, but in the 1950s
    >spent time in California, working with his friend, nuclear physicist Willy
    >Fowler. Hoyle puzzled over the problem of how hearty nuclei might be
    >built up in stars (stellar nucleosynthesis), and became intrigued by the
    >possibility that the energy levels of beryllium, helium, and carbon might
    be
    >- just right to encourage the two-step reaction Salpeter had proposed. It
    all
    >hinged on a property known as resonance.
    >
    >Resonance works like this. When two nuclei collide and stick together, the
    >new nucleus that is formed carries the combined mass-energy of the two
    >nuclei, plus the combined energy of their motion, their kinetic energy (and
    >minus a small amount of energy from the strong force, the binding energy
    >that holds the new nucleus together). The new nucleus "wants" to occupy
    >one of the steps on its own energy ladder, and if this combined energy from
    >the incoming particles is not just right then the excess has to be
    eliminated,
    >in the form of leftover kinetic energy, or as a particle ejected Prom the
    >nucleus. This reduces the likelihood that the two colliding nuclei will
    stick
    >together; in many eases, they simply bounce off each other and continue to
    >lead their separate lives. If everything meshes perfectly, however, the new
    >nucleus will be created with exactly the energy that corresponds to one of
    >its natural levels (it can then, of course, emit packets of energy and hop
    >down the steps to the lowest; level). In that ease, the interaction will
    >proceed verry effectively, and the conversion of lighter nuclei into a
    heavier
    >form will be complete. This matching of energies to one of the levels
    >appropriate for the new nuclei is the effect known as resonance, and it
> [...]

    I fail to see how this is an example of a "genuine anthropic principle
    prediction." Hoyle noticed some property of nature--that carbon-12 is
    produced in stars--and gave an explanation of this property, from which he
    made a prediction. He didn't need the anthropic principle in order to make
    this prediction.

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "Do the calculation. Take the numbers seriously. See if the underlying
    probabilities really are small enough to yield design."
      -- W. A. Dembski, who has never presented any calculation to back up his
    claim to have detected Intelligent Design in life.