Re: Why I don't reject ID

From: FMAJ1019@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 21:51:24 EDT

    In a message dated 10/1/2000 6:18:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    Nucacids@aol.com writes:

    Mike:
    I see that this list is loaded with postings critical of ID. So why in the

    > world would I consider ID so seriously? The obvious answer would be that
    > I am either too stupid, dishonest, and/or motivated by non-rational urges.
    > I suppose this is understandable since the vast majority of those who
    > are critical of ID impose the old "anti-evolution/creationist" template
    > on the ID position and that template carries (deservedly or undeservedly)
    > the common perceptions of "stupidity, dishonesty, and/or non-rational
    > motivations." Human beings have a deep-rooted need to categorize

    You are building a strawman argument here.

    > There is one thing that causes me to take ID seriously and it is
    > that I have found it to be so darn useful for framing both questions
    > and hypotheses about the biological world. Just in the last year,
    > ID has been very helpful in formulating some rather specific
    > hypotheses about such unrelated phenomena as transcription,
    > the general state of the cytoplasm, rubisco, enolase function
    > in degradosomes, and the distribution of dnaK-dnaJ-grpE genes
    > in Archaea, along with various other minor phenomena. Why
    > would I abandon ID when I am under the growing conviction
    > that this is just the tip of the iceberg?

    I would like to hear more how ID has been useful. Could you refer me to some
    papers?

    I have been searching on some of the terms you used:

    http://www.arn.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000177.html

    DNAunion: It also doesn’t seem to always mess with a bad thing. For example,
    the most common protein
    on Earth, RUBISCO, in addition to performing its useful carboxylation
    reactions in the Calvin cycle, also
    catalyzes oxygenic reactions that have a negative effect on plants. Yet, in
    more than 3 billions of
    years, random mutation and natural selection could not eliminate the negative
    effects while retaining
    the beneficial ones. Not that this “disproves” evolution in any sense, but
    it is another example of its
    limitations.

    The argument furthered here by DNAUnion is that natural selection should have
    eliminated the negative effects but why?
    So how does ID come into play here? To show that Rubisco was designed with a
    flaw?

    http://pps99.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/projects/jnixon/Title_Page.html

    Enolase

    http://www.cbs.dtu.dk/dave/Behe1.html

    " Evidence against Behe's view of irreducible complexity (and in favor of my
    utilitarian view) comes from an analysis of the regulatory proteins in
    different blood clotting systems. If the entire system is "irreducibly
    complex", then one should see very nearly the same regulatory system in all
    animals. Perhaps it is not surprising that you don't see this for the blood
    clotting cascade. In fact, very often you will find quite a bit of
    variation in
    "irreducibly complex" systems when you look at different organisms. But,
    Behe could well say, variation is one thing - origins of complexity is
    another. How could this complex system have evolved? Often nature will
    simply take what's handy and use it. Take for example the substance
    that forms the crystal for the lens of the eye - this is nothing but a common
    enzyme that happens to have very nice crystallization properties - not
    necessarily a "tailor made" protein specifically (and ONLY) for this
    particular use (for a recent review of the lens crystallins, see J.
    Piatigorsky, Ann
    N Y Acad Sci, 842:7-15). In another example, a friend of mine had isolated
    the protein component of a complex which degrades RNA. She was
    surprised to find that one of the constituents was enolase - an enzyme used
    in metabolism, and having no previously known role in anything to do
    with RNA. (Py et al., Nature, 381:169-172, 1996) There are MANY examples of
    complicated systems which are constructed from components
    that themselves have perfectly viable roles as units in a completely
    different context. But please don't take my word for it - have a look for
    yourself
    in the literature and see what you can find. I invite the reader interested
    in further exploring this to visit Russel Doolittle's review of "DARWIN'S
    BLACK BOX"; he spends a good deal of time discussing Behe's arguments about
    evolution blood clotting regulation. Doolittle claims that,
    according to Behe, he has wasted "the last 35 years working on proteins and
    evolution". "

    http://www.the-scientist.com/yr1999/nov/palevitz_p8_991122.html

    Eyes on Bacteria

        The lens crystallins of eyes are some of the best examples of
        exaptations. Crystallins lend optical properties to lens cells important
        in light transmission. Various proteins have specialized as crystallins
        during eye evolution, some resulting from gene duplication followed by
        specialization, others retaining their original metabolic activities in a
        process Joram Piatigorsky of the National Eye Institute called
        recruitment by gene sharing.6 Lactate dehydrogenase, aldehyde
        dehydrogenase, and enolase have all been put to work as lens
        crystallins, while still acting as enzymes.

        If the really important question in eye evolution isn't gross anatomy but
    molecular pathways, as Behe believes, the answer isn't in intelligent design
    or
        other supernatural handwaving, but more biochemistry and genetics. That
    also holds true for nitrogen-fixing rhizobial bacteria that inhabit the root
        nodules of legumes. According to J. Peter Young of York University,
    United Kingdom, rhizobia may have borrowed genes from each other, fungi, and
        even host plants to patch together new biosynthetic pathways for nod
    factors, signaling molecules that let roots know the bacteria are around.7

    http://www.arn.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000177.html
    http://www.bio.cam.ac.uk/dept/biochem/teaching/partii/old-folding/

    This is also were a Mike Gene seems to make the somewhat silly assertion that
    "It's official. Behe's concept of irreducible complexity (IC) has found
    itself in the peer-reviewed scientific literature. " Of course he was correct
    but the paper all but demolished Behe's arguments.

    http://www.arn.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000177-2.html

    "First of all, this article shows that Behe's work has indeed contributed to
    science … what should be
                           clear is that Behe's skepticism has served as an
    impetus for these scientists to develop a classification
                           that did not exist before. Therefore, Behe has indeed
    contributed in an indirect way by serving as the
                           stimulus for the creation of such a classification.

                           It is rather ironic that you consider a critique of
    Behe's thesis to be a validation of his thesis. Behe
                           proposed IC as a case which rules out all gradual
    evolutionary pathways, not just two out of four
                           possible gradual pathways. This oversight by Behe is
    certainly not to his credit. "

    Zeus Thibault has many other interesting references and comments on this page

    It seems like a leap in logic to infer from the ICness of the system that
    therefore this was designed. COnservation of homeobox genes hardly is a new
    entity.

    > Thus, for me, the vast majority of anti-ID arguments have
    > become noisy background chatter. I have no interest in
    > trying to prove ID or insert ID into anyone's science
    > curricula. My interest in not in getting anyone else to
    > concede or agree, because that really doesn't matter. My
    > interest is in whether ID systematically works to help us
    > understand biotic reality. The world is the real judge and
    > not some community of people.

    If it helps then fine but one should be careful to realize that many of the
    claims made by ID are quite erroneous, or unsupported.
    I understand that one might not want to get involved in addressing scientific
    criticism of ID but if ID wants to gain scientific acceptance then it must
    not hide.