Re: Why I don't reject ID

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 08:26:39 EDT

    Reflectorites

    On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 00:13:57 +0100, Richard Wein wrote:

    [...]

    >>RW>I fail to see how this is an example of a "genuine anthropic principle
    >>>prediction." Hoyle noticed some property of nature--that carbon-12 is
    >>>produced in stars--and gave an explanation of this property, from which he
    >>>made a prediction. He didn't need the anthropic principle in order to make
    >>>this prediction.

    [...]

    >SJ>Note how it works. Richard (who is an atheist and therefore denies design
    >>apriori) calls for evidence for design. Yet when evidence is submitted,
    >>Richard say he fails to see it!

    RW>Oh Stephen, Stephen. Will you never learn? The fact that I've concluded that
    >there's no God does not mean that I deny design a priori.

    Whether "apriori" or not, the fact is that Richard rules out design as a real
    possibility. That is why he keeps saying that my arguments are "irrational"
    and "nonsense". Because to Richard they *are* literally "irrational" and
    "nonsense"!

    RW>In fact you've made *two* logical errors here.
    >
    >1) A person who arrives at one conclusion has not a priori rejected the
    >contrary conclusion. And he may change his mind in the light of new
    >evidence.

    No one is saying that a person with an "apriori" position cannot "change his
    mind". *I* was one an atheist but I changed my mind!

    RW>2) Atheism and design are not mutually contradictory, as the designer could
    >be an alien species. (For the umpteenth time!)

    No doubt. But *ultimately* "Atheism and design" *are* "mutually
    contradictory".

    >SJ>Hoyle's prediction was motivated by his belief in design (not the anthropic
    >>principle as Gribbin and Rees claim, which Hoyle has elsewhere rejected as
    >>a tautology). Hoylee concluded after it that "a superintellect has monkeyed
    >>with physics, as well as chemistry and biology":

    RW>Whatever his motivation, it is a fallacy to call this a prediction from
    >design. It is a prediction from the fact that carbon-12 exists. Carbon-12
    >exists regardless of whether there was a designer.

    Richard's argument is with Rees and Gribbin. *They* say it was a
    "prediction".

    >>"...Hoyle considers the carbon-oxygen synthesis coincidence so
    >>remarkable that it seems like a `put-up job'. Regarding the delicate
    >>positioning of the nuclear resonances, he comments: 'If you wanted
    >>to produce carbon and oxygen in roughly equal quantities by stellar
    >>nucleosynthesis, these are the two levels you would have to fix, and
    >>your fixing would have to be just about where these levels are
    >>actually found to be .... A commonsense interpretation of the facts
    >>suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as
    >>chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth
    >>speaking about in nature'. (Hoyle F., 'The Universe: Some Past and
    >>Present Reflections," 1982, p16) " (Davies P.C.W., "The
    >>Accidental Universe," 1983, reprint, p.118)

    [...]

    RW>This is a conclusion *of* design, not a prediction *from* design. See the
    >difference?

    No. Hoyle, because of his prior belief in design *predicted* that "the
    carbon-oxygen synthesis coincidence" would be there. His anti-design
    colleagues did not agree with him. Hoyle tested his prediction and "To the
    astonishment of everyone except Hoyle" it was.

    RW>As to whether it's a valid conclusion of design, I'll just say that I've
    >discussed anthropic arguments before, and I don't feel like starting again
    >now.

    As I said, Hoyle rejects "anthropic arguments". This is the spin that Rees
    and Gribbin put on it because they reject design and promote the anthropic
    principle in their book. Hoyle's prediction was *design* and his conclusion
    was "a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as chemistry and
    biology"!

    Richard by his refusal to accept this clear example of a successful scientific
    prediction based on design, shows that he would *never* (at least while he
    remains an atheist) accept *any* example of a successful scientific prediction
    based on design.

    On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:49:05 -0500, Susan Cogan wrote:

    [...]

    >RW>2) Atheism and design are not mutually contradictory, as the designer could
    >>be an alien species. (For the umpteenth time!)

    SB>actually Stephen has argued this point himself many times--that ID
    >does not *require* the designer to be the Christian God. Stephen
    >seems to be contradicting himself above.

    No I'm not. I am not saying that the designer is "the Christian God"
    in this argument. Atheism is the denial of *any* God, not just the
    Christian God.

    Besides, by injecting "ID" here as synonymous with "design"
    and the "designer" Susan is creating another four-alarm mess!

    SB>If the designer is an alien then an atheist can believe in ID.

    See above on *ultimately*. Who designed the "designer" then?

    And also "ID" is another issue. We are talking about *design* in
    general here.

    SB>If the designer must be the
    >Christian God then an atheist must a priori reject ID. Once again
    >Stephen exposes the religious underpinnings of ID.

    Once again Susan shows her usual confusion [this is not meant to be an ad
    hominem] with 1) "design" in general and "ID". I am happy to discuss one
    or the other but not both at once.

    And also Susan shows her usual confusion [again this is not meant to be an
    ad hominem] with the "Christian God" and design. Hoyle believes in design
    and a designer but not in "the Christian God".

    *I* personally, from being an atheist, came to believe there was a Designer
    through the evident design of the universe. But for some other unrelated
    events that transpired, I could easily have left it at that like Hoyle has,
    believing in design and a Designer without believing it was "the Christian
    God".

    I am quite frankly getting a bit bored with endlessly going over the same
    old ground because atheists appear to be unable to accept at face value
    what creationist/IDers like me say. On the egroups List I am on (and which
    Susan and a few other Reflectorites are also on) I am going to invest a bit
    of time in stating my position in a series of FAQs. Then if the same
    questions comes up over, and over, and over, and over, ... again, I can just
    point to my FAQ. That way we can stop going endlessly in circles and
    maybe *resolve* some issues?

    "Biologists must constantly keep in mind that what they see was not
    designed, but rather evolved." (Crick F.H.C., "What Mad Pursuit: A
    Personal View of Scientific Discovery," [1988], Penguin: London, 1990,
    reprint, p.138)
    Stephen E. Jones | Ph. +61 8 9448 7439 | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sejones