Possible impact of ID

From: James Mahaffy (mahaffy@mtcnet.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 19:17:33 EST

    Folks,

    In any case I am in the process of thinking about what I am going to say
    in a review of Bill Dembski's newest IVP book, Intelligent Design (ID)
    for our college intellectual journal, Pro Rege. I like his readable
    historical approach to the topic and clearly Intelligent design needs an
    argument like Bill's that contents that design can be shown and
    distinguished from non-design if Intelligent Design is going to impact
    the broader scientific world. I know many on this group are a bit
    hostile to ID but I would still appreciate some feedback.

    Right now I am thinking of what I am going to say about the possible
    impact the movement could have and here is where I would like some
    feedback. Actually I think its strongest impact has been and probably
    will be on the evangelical non-scientific world. Here I see it [at
    least in the US], for a variety of reasons, either supplanting or making
    significant changes in the broadly accepted Young Earth/Flood model
    theory (YEC). What I see more darkly is the impact it will have on
    accepted [secular] science. I think it is already seen as an attack by
    some good and bright minds with some reasonable arguments. I already
    see Johnson and/or Behe becoming well known as folks that appose
    neo-Darwinism. But to have a strong impact ID would have to undermine
    the mechanism/materialism to the degree that it causes a shift to
    another paradigm. But I fear that at the most, ID in our pluralistic
    postmodern era may be seen as another minor and perhaps legitimate way
    of doing science. That in itself is a step forward, but unless that ID
    science shows itself as a better science program producing better
    science, I am not sure why the mainstream science will leave its
    mechanistic world for one that allows a designer.

    So I guess I am asking for the farsighted seers to suggest how ID could
    be attractive to the mainstream scientists as a program that would allow
    him to do better science or if someone sees it being able to offer a
    critique like Kuhn, that made scientists see that their science is not
    entirely rational and should be replaced by ID or a paradigm influenced
    by ID. I am not interested in this degenerating into a pro/anti ID
    discussion but what may be the impact of ID and why it could have that
    impact.

    As a scientist [paleoecology] who is a theist and who believes in the
    God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, I would love to see the scientific
    world more open to the Creator who designed and sustains it - but I am
    trying to glimpse how I think the science world will or could react to
    ID.

    If you want to reply to me personally, I am working on this at home at
    mahaffy@mtcnet.net - but I will also read replies to ASA list.

     Blind cc to a friend Art Attema (if I put his e-mail on the ASA list it
    will go to the archives and those are public)

    --
    James and Florence Mahaffy    712 722-0381 (Home)
    227 S. Main St.              712 722-6279 (Office)