RE: Possible impact of ID

From: Joel Z Bandstra (bandstra@ese.ogi.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 22:05:53 EST

    Glenn's post below reminds me of a question that rolls around in my head
    from time to time. Some might argue that there's a lot of room for rolling
    around in there so maybe that's where this question comes from!

    Can a scientific theory be developed based primarily on explaining what
    happened or must it develop by making hard predictions about what will
    happen (in a given experimental set up) and then testing those predictions?
     I guess I'm thinking that coming up with a plausible history of things is
    not really science but rather an activity that may (or may not) use science
    as a tool.

    I'm thinking here of the difference between the way theories are developed
    in things like geology and the way that theories are developed in areas
    like physics. (note that I don't really know much of geology outside of the
    class I took as an undergrad, and not even so much of that, so apologies to
    all the geologists) In geology the theory seems to be developed under the
    guise of trying to reconstruct what did happen not what will happen. While
    in physics the main idea seems to be developing a theory for predicting the
    future (in terms of experiments that could be carried out in the future).
     Even physics contains a heavy element of describing past experiments but
    in this case it seems reasonable that the experiments could be performed
    again with the same results (though not necessarily in astronomy I
    suppose).

    As a disclaimer, I'm not convinced that the differences I've expressed are
    real. This does, however, seem like an issue in regards to classifying a
    given theory (such as intelligent design or evolution) as science or some
    sort of scientific spin-off that also requires a large degree of
    philosophizing (not to imply that such spin-offs are not interesting or
    worthwhile).

    I guess I'm really asking what the definition of science is and if this
    definition indicates that science must be developed under the requirement
    of predicting future observations.

    On the other hand I could just be subconsciously trying to make all the
    "soft" sciences (which are really the hard sciences when it comes to doing
    experiments and making predictions) into non-sciences simply because they
    are not physics, or at least they aren't yet :)