Re: Possible impact of ID

From: Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 10:21:38 EST

    I think the future impact, if any, of ID will depend on what direction the
    movement takes. If it is primarily pursued *as science* (like Michael
    Behe's work seems to be for the most part), then it has some chance of
    having an impact on the broader scientific world. But if it is primarily
    pursued as gap-based apologetics (as exemplified by Phil Johnson), the
    broader scientific world will continue to dismiss it as just another
    "creationist" effort, not quite so silly as YEC, by those whose concept of
    God requires them to find "fingerprints" in nature in order to maintain
    their theism.

    | Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
    | Physical and Chemical Properties Division | "Don't blame the |
    | National Institute of Standards & Technology | government for what I |
    | 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | say, or vice versa." |