ID

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 16:05:18 EDT

    Cliff:
    >Rather uncomfortable, to think that the world is controlled by an
    intelligence
    >which may not necessarily be worthy of religious adulation. I wonder how
    >many ID advocates really feel that way. ID seems to be religion without
    >religion, science without science.

    Bertvan:
    Hi Cliff. Such a definition of "intelligence" feels comfortable to me. I
    agree that most ID advocates entertain the conventional beliefs about a
    "creator". What we have in common is skepticism of "random mutation and
    natural selection" as an explanation of nature's diversity.

    Cliff:
    >Inevitably, if enough people hold this view, children will be aware of it.
    >But that's not saying it should be taught in schools. The proscription
    >against teaching the supernatural in school was instituted when 95%
    >of the populace in the US were regular church-goers. Why change
    >the rule now, when people are less religious?

    Bertvan:
    If you define "information", "consciousness" and "free will" and everything
    else we don't understand as supernatural, I'd agree that ID is supernatural.
    However the truth is, I think more is done to promote ID by fighting to ban
    it from the classroom, than if children were allowed to discuss it. I've
    been reading more of The Third Culture,

     http://www.edge.org/documents/ThirdCulture/d-Contents.html

    Lee Smolen a theoretical physicist said,

    Many of the people who work on complexity, such as Murray Gell Mann,
    Stuart Kauffman, Harold Morowitz, and others, imagine that the world
    consists of highly organized and complex systems but that the
    fundamental laws are simply fixed beforehand, by God or by mathematics.
    I used to believe this, but I no longer do. More and more, what I
    believe must be true is that there are mechanisms of self-organization
    extending from the largest scales to the smallest, and that they explain
    both the properties of the elementary particles and the history and
    structure of the whole universe.

    As a scientist, one can believe what one wants and work on what one
    wants, but one also accepts the idea that in the end the community is
    the ultimate judge of the usefulness of what one does. This requires an
    ethics that makes honesty and respect for the views of others essential,
    while at the same time making individuality and difference and
    disagreement essential. So at any one time in the scientific community,
    there's a consensus about certain matters on which almost everyone has
    come, after long struggle, to agree; but there's also a large area where
    no consensus exists. Indeed, this state of affairs is necessary, because
    if there was too great a consensus the process would stop; this would be
    the death of science.

    Bertvan: I agree any science that tries to stifle discussion is dead.
    Contrast this expression of tolerance with what Steve Jones, (not our Steve
    Jones) a biologist says:

    Steve Jones: I have a problem with scientists who spend most of the time
    looking at their own navels, trying to define what it is they're
    supposed to be studying. It's like a game where both teams stand around
    arguing about what the rules are supposed to be. That's the difficulty
    with the "consciousness" game. Just how do you play it, and where's the
    goal? Is there a goal at all - or even a game? Define what a problem is
    in terms accessible to a layman, and you have the beginnings of a
    science. If you can't, you have nothing but a series of opinions.

    My feeling about most people in that field is that they'd find life more
    interesting if they continued to do what most of them started by doing -
    getting their feet wet by doing experimental work.

    There's a disease of middle-aged literary men called Hearty Degeneration
    of the Fat; when you get old, you boom about Big Issues. G.K. Chesterton
    was a classic example. Scientists, I guess, have a related problem -
    Anguished Uncertainty of the Elderly is probably a better term. All of a
    sudden you forget that science is the art of the answerable and you
    begin to speculate about things that basically lie outside science
    altogether.

    I'm not saying Nick Humphrey does only that; certainly not. But it's
    something we're all in danger of doing. Nick Humphrey is going into
    fields I don't find interesting. The consciousness field, the
    meaning-of-life field - it's always left me cold.

    Bertvan:
    I'm glad the great physicists of the last century didn't allow Jones to
    define science for them.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan