Re: ID

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 03:31:25 EDT

    From: Bertvan@aol.com <Bertvan@aol.com>

    >Richard:
    >>I have no objection to children debating any question that they're
    >>interested in. The issue, though, is what should be taught in science
    >>classes. Or maybe you think that science classes should be replaced by
    >>debates?
    >
    >Hi, Richard. I would teach children that most scientists can be trusted.
    >Most are generally objective and welcome challenges to any of their
    >scientific theories. However, if scientists ever appeared emotionally
    >committed to a scientific theory, taking criticism as a personal affront, I
    >would warn students to be skeptical. I would warn students to be cautious
    >of any theory defended by ridicule and intimidation, such as attacking the
    >academic credentials of scientists suggesting alternatives. If scientists
    >ever tried to limit consideration of alternatives to any theory, I would
    warn
    >children to take a close look at those alternatives. If science should
    ever
    >resorted to the courts to prevent any theory from being discussed in the
    >classroom, I would urge students to take a close look at whatever was being
    >banned. I would urge students to trust scientists, but scientists are
    >human, and as susceptible as the rest of us to becoming emotionally
    involved
    >with ideas.

    You didn't answer my question. Which science lessons would you replace with
    debates? Or would you teach the same science as at present, and just add
    some extra time for debates?

    Richard Wein (Tich)
    "When I told people I wanted to be a comedian, they laughed at me. Well,
    they're not laughing now!" -- Bob Monkhouse, comedian.