Re: ID

From: Richard Wein (rwein@lineone.net)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 06:13:51 EDT

    >Richard:
    >>I have no objection to informing children that a tiny minority of
    scientists
    >>hold dissenting views. If that was all the anti-evolutionists wanted,
    there
    >>would probably be no problem. But you're wrong. They're demanding much
    more
    >>than that. Indeed, the Kansas school board removed references to evolution
    >>and the age of the Earth from the state education standards. And IDers are
    >>trying to have ID taught in public schools.
    >
    >>It seems to me you're seriously understating the aims of IDers. I find it
    >>hard to believe that Phillip Johnson "favor[s] teaching children orthodox
    >>Darwinism"!
    >
    >Bertvan:
    >Hi Richard. Labeling ID a religious view seems like an attempt to prevent
    it
    >being mentioned in schools. ID is the belief that the diversity of life and
    >the universe is too complex to have occurred by chance. That is compatible
    >with most religious views, but ID itself makes no religious statement,
    except
    >to claim the complexity of life is the result of intelligence. If enough
    >people hold this view, I see no harm in school children being aware of it.

    Again, you're understating the aims of IDers. They don't just want children
    to be "aware" of ID. They want to *teach* ID in schools.

    >The Scopes trial was a fight to allow evolution to be discussed in school.
    >Today the fights are to prevent any criticism of "random mutation and
    >natural selection" from being discussed in school. As for Johnson, I give
    >you his own words:
    >
    >Bertvan
    >
    >Phillip Johnson:
    >Here is what I wrote in the Chronicle of Higher Education: "Evolution is an
    >important topic, and students certainly should learn the theory and the
    >reasons why so many scientists think it is true. It is also a controversial
    >topic, and students should learn why."

    I know Johnson says that. But do you really think he would have the theory
    of evolution taught in schools if he had the choice? Remember his strategy
    is called the "Wedge Strategy"--start off with relatively modest demands,
    and work up to your real goals. The Wedge Strategy's goal is: "To replace
    materialistic explanations with the theistic understanding that nature and
    hurnan beings are created by God". Note: "replace" not "supplement".

    Richard Wein (Tich)