Christian Science

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 17:19:06 EDT

    I know that it is politically incorrect to say what I'm about to say,
    but I will say it.

    I suspect that most people in the ASA and on this list do regard
    Christian Science to be an unorthodox cult. It is my understanding
    that Christian Science has unorthodox views of the Trinity and of the
    deity of Christ and of the nature of the work of Christ, among other
    things (these particular doctrinal deviations from historic Christian
    orthodoxy are what warrant the label "cult" among evangelicals --
    this label is shared with Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormonism, The Way
    International, and others). I had a Christian Science roommate in
    college and had many long discussions with him; it's been a while
    since I've studied the issues in detail, but I don't think that I
    speak from ignorance here.

    The ASA statement of faith is very "big-tent" and points to the
    Apostles' and Nicene creed as fundamental statements of orthodoxy as
    being accurate statements of the teaching of scripture. These are the
    classic Christian creeds defining the Trinity and the Incarnation. In
    general, we do not regard as Christians those who disagree with these
    doctrines (part of what it means to acknowledge Jesus Christ as Lord
    and Savior is to agree with the teachings of these creeds).

    I am willing to learn from Stuart if I my understanding of Christian
    Science is in error, but if it is not and there is a denial of the
    Trinity and the unique deity of Christ, then what I say stands. I
    don't think that the ASA list is a place to carry out debates on
    whether or not the ecumenical creeds are Biblical--that is one of our
    starting points as an organization. If Stuart is participating in the
    discussion on the common groundwork of historic Christianity, then
    let the discussion continue; if not, then it should stop.

    Just to make it clear: I am not speaking here as moderator, but as
    participant in this group. At this point I have no plans to prevent
    the discussion or to "censor" posts, but I speak as an ASA member who
    is zealous to maintain the "evangelical" integrity of our group and
    our discussions.

    TG

    --
    Fort Collins, Colorado  80523