Re: Christian Science

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Fri Apr 26 2002 - 22:50:13 EDT

             The current ASA Statement of Faith is certainly not my property but as
    one of the members of the committee that drafted it I do have some insight into
    its rationale. The basic thing we wanted to do was to make the
    orgaization open
    to all those who had appropriate training in science and who confessed the
    essentials of the historic Christian faith. In particular, at least two of the
    members on the committee wanted it to be clear that Roman Catholics
    were welcome
    to join. That had been problematic with the previous statement.
             I doubt that Bultmann would have had a fundamental problem with the
    theological statements, though he didn't care squat about science.
             I don't recall any particular reflection on Christian
    Scientists, though
    we were aware that Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons would not be able to accept
    the statement in good faith because of the reference to the ecumenical creeds.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/