Re: Christian Science

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 07:44:21 EDT

    Stuart d Kirkley wrote:

    > Thanks 'Hoss',
    > I'll accept this as a good reply to Terry.
    >
    > I must again voice my objection to the use of the word 'cult' when
    > describing any religion. The word has such negative connotations that
    > it can't help but negatively influence those who don't know the
    > difference, but might just accept this as being gospel and hinder
    > their own objectivity to decide for themselves. It is patently
    > unfair, and decidedly unchristian.
    >
    > As for the Trinity and the Nicene Creed etc., I haven't really
    > thought this through at this juncture. Christian Science does have a
    > decidedly different approach to understanding theology but I don't
    > know if it is in direct conflict with established orthodox teachings
    > or the Nicene creed etc. As Mrs. Eddy wrote in 1879, the Christian
    > Science church was 'designed to commemorate the words and works of
    > our Master (Jesus), which should reinstate primitive Christianity and
    > its lost element of healing.' Since primitive Christianity is
    > considered to be the period of 300 years or so after Christ's
    > ascension, which is well in advance of the Nicene council, then
    > perhaps we aren't in step with the orthodox doctrine. I however, make
    > no apology for this, because I have to wonder what Jesus would have
    > to say about all the various debates and arguments and councils which
    > have surrounded his teachings for almost 1500 years. This is what I
    > personally like about Christian Science, that it is !
    > unf
    > ettered by human doctrines and gets back to the pure spirit of
    > Christianity which Jesus taught and demonstrated and expected his
    > followers to also demonstrate.
    >
    > ANyway, If you see fit to give me the boot, so be it. I won't protest
    > your jurisdiction.

             1) Membership in ASA is not, as I understand it, required
    for participation on
    this list, so acceptance of its statement of faith is not necessary
    for participation.
             2) The ASA is not a church and its Statement of Faith is not
    a list of conditions
    for church fellowship.
             3) It is not up to me to decide this, but I would think that
    anyone who says that
    he/she does accept the Statement of Faith (as well as having the
    other qualifications)
    would be acceptable for membership. No one is going to say, "OK, but
    we noticed that you
    belong to Denomination X and this makes us wonder if your acceptance
    is sincere."
             4) OTOH, anyone wanting to join the organization should at
    least _read_ the
    Apostles' & Nicene Creeds & think a bit about whether or not he/she
    can confess them in
    good faith. (After all, a person who joins does express formal
    agreement with the
    Statement & thus with its affirmation of the creeds as "brief,
    faithful statements of
    Christian doctrine based upon Scripture.") & for that matter I think
    that any Christian,
    whether interested in ASA or not, ought to have some familiarity with
    these creeds simply
    because they have been so important in the history of the church. (&
    with their
    antecedents going back to the NT they are not just doctrinal
    statements from 300+ years
    after the resurrection.)

    Shalom,

    George