Re: Christian Science

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 19:20:47 EDT

    gordon brown wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, george murphy wrote:
    >
    > > 3) It is not up to me to decide this, but I would think that
    > > anyone who says that
    > > he/she does accept the Statement of Faith (as well as having the
    > > other qualifications)
    > > would be acceptable for membership. No one is going to say, "OK, but
    > > we noticed that you
    > > belong to Denomination X and this makes us wonder if your acceptance
    > > is sincere."
    >
    > This is exactly what has happened on this list in connection with a Moonie
    > who joined the ASA.

             I should have been more precise. Given a person's background, we may
    indeed wonder in what sense a person is accepting the Statement of Faith.
    Furthermore, I see nothing wrong with frank discussion among members of
    theological differences in light of the creeds. But I don't think that the
    ASA as an organization should be investigating the theology of applicants for
    membership if they accept the Statement of Faith unless there is obvious
    evidence of dissimulation.
             As I said earlier, the ASA is not a Church and its Statement of Faith
    is not a condition for church fellowship. I think there are serious errors in
    the theology of the Unification Church & that's true in varying degrees for
    some other churches whose members are represented in ASA. There are strong
    and weak points in having a relatively broad statement of the type we
    presently have but I think the strengths outweigh the weaknesses.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/