Science and religion: two ways of knowing

From: Shuan Rose (shuanr@boo.net)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 10:29:19 EST

         I like this definition of science:
          Science is a way of knowing that through observation, experiment and
    reasoning comes to conclusions about the physical world.."
          A fellow named Weinberg wrote it somewhere, but I can't track it
    down). Science is not the search for all truth, just the truth about the
    physical world.

          Now, modern atheists might argue that scientific truth is the ONLY
    truth, but of course they are wrong, and even nonreligious folks would
    reject such reductionism.However, in the scientific enterprise, the only
    permissible way of knowing is through the scientific method, AKA
    methodological naturalism (MN).A lot of people dislike this, and would like
    to supplement the scientific method with another method, I.e
    revelation.However, revelation properly belongs not to science, but to
    religion.

          Religion is a way of knowing that through revelation, practice, and
    faith, comes to conclusions about the supernatural world.Through religion we
    experience God. Through science we investigate the physical world. Two
    different ways of knowing, two different realities.
          I think all religious believers should oppose the attempts of Dawkins
    and others to insist that science has excluded all other types of truth,
    except those that can be known through the scientific method. This is what
    metaphysical naturalism says. Properly applying the scientific method,
    however, cannot lead to that conclusion, for the scientific method can only
    answer questions about the physical world.It can neither prove nor disprove
    the existence of the spiritual world.

          When , however,YECs insist on tailoring scientific truth to a literal
    reading of revelation, they deform science(and revelation).Scientific truth
    has its own space and validity, apart from revelation.Revelation is also
    true, just not in a scientific way.We can still say God created the heavens
    and the earth, and leave it to science to spell out the details. Indeed ,
    the biblical writers had they know how much greater and more wonderful
    universe was than they envisaged, would surely have found even greater
    reason to praise God.

          The metaphysical naturalist looks through his microscope, performs his
    scientific test, measures his specimen, and says: There is no god.
          The YEC looks at his three thousand year old text, interprets it
    literally,and says: There is no evolution.Both make the mistake of applying
    the wrong way of knowing to the wrong reality.Both are far from the truth
    about either reality.

          I posted the above on the BaptistBoard message Board, hoping for some
    comment. I would ask for comments now from this listserv, especially on the
    "two ways of knowing" approach. Do folks on the list think this is valid.

    Shuan Rose
    2632 N Charles Street,Baltimore MD 21218
    [410]467-2655