Re: Current Events

From: gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 10:44:56 EST

    On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, D. F. Siemens, Jr. wrote (quoting Howard?):

    > On this last, I suspect that Augustine's wisecrack in answer to the
    > question what God was doing before he created: "He was making hell for
    > those who ask such questions." I note that there is a relevant difference
    > between a timeless deity and one temporally eternal. The latter, which
    > panentheism demands, involves an infinite regress or sorts. The former
    > does not. I think Aristotle's eternal pair of Pure Form and Prime Matter
    > make better sense than the process view.

    It seems that this story has gotten twisted. Augustine's answer was based
    on his assertion that God created time, and he dissociated himself from
    those who would give a facetious answer. Here is a quotation from Book XI
    of The Confessions of Saint Augustine:

    See, I answer him that asketh, "What did God before He made heaven and
    earth?" I answer not as one is said to have done merrily (eluding the
    pressure of the question), "He was preparing hell (saith he) for pryers
    into mysteries." It is one thing to answer enquiries, another to make
    sport of enquirers.

    Gordon Brown
    Department of Mathematics
    University of Colorado