Re: Science and religion: two ways of knowing

From: Steve Bishop (stevebishop_uk@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 12:05:04 EST

    My problem with the independence approach is that it largely accepts that science is neutral with regard to religious beliefs. Recent philosophers of science have all but reached a consensus on this point: the epistemological objectivity of science is a myth.

    Science is a human cultural activity. Consequently, it is tainted, as is all human activity, with the cultural-religious presuppositions of the scientist (i.e. her worldview). N R Hanson (Patterns of Discovery: An Inquiry into the Conceptual Foundations of Science ,Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1958) has shown that observation, a foundation of science, is theory-dependent. Theories are also worldview-dependent. Scientist cannot escape their culture; science is not done in a vacuum. We cannot divorce science from worldview. Worldviews in turn are inherently religious; they are based on ultimate commitments that cannot be empirically or even rationally verified (or for that matter falsified); they are religious. Science and religious beliefs are then intimately related. We can summarize this argument thus:

    1. We all have a worldview

    2. A worldview is shaped by religious commitments

    3. All human activity is shaped by worldviews

    4. Science is a human activity

    Therefore,

    5. Science and religious commitments are related; and

    6. Science is not neutral

    This conclusion, if valid, undermines the independence approach to science and religion.

    I have developed a typology for the relationship of science and religion published in Evangelical Quarterly LXXII (1) January 2000. I would be happy to e-mail a copy to anyone who would like to see it.

    Steve