Response to: What does the creation lack?

From: Peter Ruest (pruest@pop.mysunrise.ch)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 11:25:05 EST

    John W Burgeson <burgytwo@juno.com> wrote (Sun, 18 Nov 2001 16:41:42
    -0700):

    > Peter wrote: "But biology, consciousness, and spirituality are _not_
    > reducible to physics, unlike chemistry and astronomy."

    > While I agree with this, I need to see more than a simple claim to that
    > effect. On what grounds would you argue this?

    You are right: a simple claim is not enough. On the other hand, I have
    argued these claims repeatedly on this list and in various papers in
    Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith (PSCF). But I'll try and
    formulate a short answer here. The arguments are partly scientific,
    partly theological/philosophical, as I am trying to harmonize the two
    realms.

    In "How has Life and its Diversity been Produced?" PSCF 44/2 (June
    1992), 80-94, I presented a model calculation showing that an
    evolutionary random walk towards a minimal novel functionality (i.e. a
    functionality not yet available in the biosphere, and before natural
    selection can set in) could not be reasonably expected to succeed for a
    requirement of more than two specific amino acid replacements, hitting
    transastronomical improbabilities. Yet minimal specificity sets as small
    as this are unknown in biology. Of course, once normal evolution with
    selection sets in, such improbabilities can no longer easily be shown to
    apply, although they might occur.

    As God has created us in his image, as responsible persons, I believe he
    will not force us to believe in him. Therefore, I think he hides his
    footsteps in creation by directing extremely improbable mutational paths
    through "hidden options" (cf. my paper "Creative Providence in Biology",
    PSCF 53/3 (Sept.2001), 179-183), rather than through interventions
    possibly detectable by science.

    I consider the creation narrative in Genesis 1-2 as primarily
    theological. But as it is also a revelation by the Creator, I am not
    surprised that there are striking parallels between the Genesis text and
    what we know from modern science. Thus, I consider it reasonable to try
    to trace the harmony between the two information sources, rather than
    simply degrading the initial Genesis chapters to myth. Armin Held and I
    tried to formulate such a harmony in "Genesis Reconsidered", PSCF 51/4
    (Dec.1999), 231-243. In particular, we see special creative acts in the
    origins of the psychological and spiritual dimensions (i.e. higher
    animals (soul) and humans (spirit), respectively). Even though God's
    usual method apparently is evolution (combined with "hidden options"),
    clearcut miraculous interventions creating new dimensions seem to be
    indicated in these unique events.

    Finally, I'll add some new considerations, which have grown mainly
    through the discussions on this list. Both these definitely creative
    acts and the hidden options imply miraculous divine interventions. But
    neither of the two types of intervention violates any natural laws. The
    hidden options, which by definition are invisible to science, occur as
    specific selections from sets of possible outcomes, God having specified
    beforehand the properties, e.g. genuine randomness, of such sets as a
    whole. Thus, both genuinely random events and specified contingencies
    among them are fully under God's control and direction, while permitting
    the creatures (non-living and living) to exercise the sets of freedoms
    designed for them. The "big" creative acts, on the other hand, produce
    new dimensions which did not exist as yet, which therefore were not
    covered by the previously existing laws of nature. Thus, these physical
    laws of nature will be neither violated nor changed by the new
    dimensions and their specific laws, God being able to provide for their
    full compatibility in the augmented system.

    Peter Ruest