Re: Response to: What does the creation lack?

From: tikeda@sprintmail.com
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 13:50:38 EST

    I had written:
    [...]
    >> Whether a change is effected by altering the likelihood of particular
    >> event or momentarily replacing the "standard laws" of physics, we're
    >> still talking about rewriting the rules in midstream and altering the
    >> "natural" timeline. We may say that these examples do not violate standard
    >> QM but they do fly in the face of what is generally observed. For example,
    >> if something can direct the choice of possible outcomes for tunnelling
    >> events, couldn't it power an engine by directing the tunnelling of gas
    >> molecules to the inside of a sealed air tank?

    Peter:
    >The idea of God's "hidden options" involves neither altering likelihoods
    >nor momentarily replacing the "standard laws" of physics, but a
    >purposeful selection among different events, all of which are physically
    >possible. Extremely low probabilities would not normally characterize
    >such an individual event, but result from linking together a whole
    >series of them, e.g. in the same molecule of DNA (without the
    >intermediates being subject to natural selection).
    [...]

    Regardless of the number of steps involved, if the transition from one
    state to another represents a "transastronomical improbability" under
    'normal conditions', unaided by supernatural interaction, then let me
    suggest that this constitutes altering the 'natural timeline' and 'rewriting
    the rules' midstream. It is a disruptive event that the 'rules' would not
    otherwise permit over the course of the universe's lifetime. The proposed
    mechanism, which involves forcing the outcome of a particular quantum state
    is no different, qualitatively, from tunnelling a rock or replacing an
    entire genome in a single step. All involve manipulating systems in
    'physically possible' ways to generate outcomes which have a "transastronomical
    improbability" of happening otherwise.

    At the 1E-99999999% level of probability, I don't think one can
    meaningfully distinguish between capability gaps and improbability
    hurdles. They are effectively the same. It you can't go from state-A
    to final state-B in the time allotted, you've encountered a capability
    gap.

    This is not to say that a divine agent couldn't use quantum events
    to direct systems toward desired outcomes. I'm only suggesting
    that trying to differentiate between 'capability gaps' and
    'improbability hurdles' might not be a terribly meaningful
    exercise.

    Regards,
    Tim Ikeda
    tikeda@sprintmail.com