Re: Response to: What does the creation lack?

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 15:39:02 EST

    >From: Moorad Alexanian <alexanian@uncwil.edu>

    > I have a simple question regarding your last paragraph:
    >
    >>My hypothesis is that the creaturely system to which God has given being
    >> (which includes atoms, molecules, cells, organisms and every physical,
    >> chemical and biological thing they are capable of doing) has the
    >> capabilities to actualize -- without divine intervention -- every type of
    >> life form that has ever appeared on the face of the earth. Of course,
    > atoms,
    >> molecules and cells are themselves systems actualized from even simpler
    >> components.
    >
    > Is the creation apart from God in the sense that if God ceased to be, then
    > the creation would still go on as you suppose?

    No, I have never suggested such a thin

    > If not, isn't that divine intervention?

    No, that divine action has long been referred to as God's action of
    "sustaining" the Creation in being. By "divine intervention" I have
    consistently meant a supernatural divine act that irruptively breaks the
    continuity of creaturely cause/effect relationships and coerces creatures
    (any member of the Creation, animate or inanimate) to do something beyond or
    contrary to their God-given capabilities.

    As the terms are ordinarily used in theological discourse, "intervention"
    and "sustaining" are very different types of divine action.

    Howard Van Till