geology, good science and a quest for info

From: Mark Hubbard (HUBBARD@cofo.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 09:09:22 EDT

    I found myself in a discussion last night with some friends who
    were very adamant about the earth being only a few thousand
    years old and provided me with a host of "proofs" straight from the
    Creation Research Institute.

    These included:
    -2nd law of thermodynamics (still not sure what that had to do with
    their arguement?)
    -unreliability of carbon dating
    -dinosaur / man tracks in Texas
    -Grand Canyon formation "proven" to be recent
    -ancient trees sticking up through multiple layers of rock
    - and others

    Being trained as a plant physiologist I had no problem discussing
    biological issues but found myself lost on the geological issues. I
    realize that a couple of these very topics were recently discussed
    here but I admittedly didn't follow it very closely as it was over my
    head.

    Would someone mind helping my basic understanding of geology
    in light of these young earth ideas by pointing me to a book or
    other references. For my sake as well as theirs, the simpler the
    language the better. Also, it may be better to post to me privately
    if you wish.

    I found it very interesting that these friends very unwilling to
    consider anything I had to say that might contradict their views.
    Almost as if it challenged their faith and maybe God!? It made me
    wonder what ideas or beliefs I hold to -that if shown to be in error-
    would weaken my faith. I'll have to think about that some more.

    On a somewhat related note, our college (College of the Ozarks in
    SW Missouri) will be hosting "Dr." Carl Baugh in November for
    lectures on intelligent design. Should be interesting. I will keep
    you posted on that one.

    Thanks for your patience and your help!

    Mark
    Hubbard@cofo.edu