Re: geology, good science and a quest for info

From: Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 18:43:03 EDT

    Hi Mark

    Regarding polystrate trees, I posted a short piece on them here a few
    weeks ago. You can find it here
    http://www.calvin.edu/archive/asa/200109/0055.html. The first account of
    these as "proof" of a flood was from George Fairholme in 1834 (not Rupke
    in the 1960's as commonly believed) , so this is a very hoary chestnut.
    Making an issue out this is to make an issue out of something well
    studied and understood.

    Glen Kuban, mentioned by other posters, has an excellent web site on the
    tracks in the Glen Rose Formation along the Paluxy River. It is at
    http://members.aol.com/paluxy2/paluxy.htm

    Glenn Morton has or had a page on C14 correlated against tree rings and
    varves. These data show that, done properly, C14 is a very reliable
    technique. The tree rings go back 10,000 years and the varves go back
    40,000 years. I can't find it on his page, so if you contact him he
    should be able to give you details.

    GB

    Jonathan