Re: geology, good science and a quest for info

From: Carol Regehr (cregehr@phys.ksu.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 09:51:53 EDT

    Robert wrote:

    > Also, the claim "entropy LOCAL decreases as evolution progresses"
    > is ill-defined, and as such, may or may not be true in some
    > circumstance depending on just *which* entropy is being considered.
    > But overall, biological processes (including those that result in
    > evolution) are irreversably dissipative, and as such they generate
    > net entropy.

    I used to wonder why no one ever took Henry Morris aside and
    *explained* thermodynamics to him. But from his book _What is
    Creation Science?_, it's apparent that someone *has*, and he
    still doesn't understand it. Ron Numbers, in _The Creationists_,
    notes that even among creationists there is dispute about the
    importance of thermodynamics arguments (see p. 235 and note 47 on
    pp. 407-408, be sure to read the entire note).

    In _What is Creation Science?_, on. p. 5, Morris states:
    "Evolutionists commonly attempt to sidestep this question by
    asserting that the second law applies only to isolated systems.
    But this is wrong!
     [indent quote] '...the quantity of entropy generated locally
    cannot be negative irrespective of whether the system is isolated
    or not' (Arnold Sommerfeld, 1956)."

    Morris is quoting from p. 155 of Arnold Sommerfeld's
    _Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics_. This sentence comes
    from a 4-page discussion of entropy. Read the whole section
    carefully and work through each of the equations. The section
    supports the opposite of what Morris intended. If a person had
    read and *understood* the whole section, it wouldn't even have
    *occurred* to him to misuse this sentence in this manner. It
    looks like prooftexting on the part of Morris, or of the research
    assistant who found this reference for him.

    In addition to Allan's excellent article that he referred us to,
    there is good historical background on broader issues in the
    article "The uses and abuses of thermodynamics in religion," by
    Erwin Hiebert, _Daedalus_, vol. 95, pp. 1046-1080 (1966). This
    doesn't specifically address points that your friends may have
    been asking you about, but it's good background and an enjoyable
    read.

    For a helpful perspective by a teacher who has dealt with these
    questions, see the article "Creation Science: A Challenge in the
    Physics Classroom," by Gary Kessler in _The Physics Teacher_,
    vol. 31, no. 5, May 1993, pp. 300-304.

    Mark, these references should be available in your college
    library, or through interlibrary loan. But if you have any
    trouble locating any of them, e-mail me privately and I'll be
    happy to send you copies of these pages. I'm pessimistic about
    your chances of persuading anyone, but if you do succeed, I'd
    sure like hear about it.

    Best,

    Carol Regehr

    --