Re: geology, good science and a quest for info

From: David Bowman (David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 17:56:07 EDT

    Regarding George Andrews' comment:

    >> These included:
    >> -2nd law of thermodynamics (still not sure what that had to do with
    >> their arguement?)
    >
    >Systems maintained far--from--equilibrium regularly enjoy a decrease in
    >entropy at the expense of the surroundings; e.g. the Sun's entropy is
    >increasing in that it is becoming more ordered as it burns and the
    >Earth's (and its occupants') entropy LOCAL decreases as evolution
    >progresses.

    We certainly don't need to look at anything as exotic as a
    "maintained far--from--equilibrium" system to see a decrease in
    entropy. All we have to do is observe *any* system placed in thermal
    contact with some other object which is at a somewhat lower
    temperature than the system of interest. When the hotter object
    cools by heating the cooler object the hotter object's entropy
    decreases. This can and does happen even for systems that are
    infinitesimally away from equilibrium.

    The entropy of the Sun is *decreasing* (maybe Andrew just mistyped
    his comment here)--recall the temperature of the Sun is higher than
    that of interstellar space. In addition, the Sun's entropy is
    decreasing because the fusion processes in its core consume more net
    particles (hydrogen) than they accumulate (helium). The fewer
    particles present in the Sun the lower its entropy (absent other
    effects due to changes in other variables as well).

    Also, the claim "entropy LOCAL decreases as evolution progresses"
    is ill-defined, and as such, may or may not be true in some
    circumstance depending on just *which* entropy is being considered.
    But overall, biological processes (including those that result in
    evolution) are irreversably dissipative, and as such they generate
    net entropy.

    David Bowman
    David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu