Designed Designers?

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 12:17:49 EDT

    To: Steven P Crawford

    Hi Steve,
    I'm not really clear about your objection to ID. (Or to Stephen's version of
    it) ID probably means something a little different to everyone who discusses
    it. So far, no one is trying to ram any version of it down anyone's throats
    as "scientific truth". However, everyone interested in ID seem to agree on
    one point: skepticism of random mutation and natural selection as an
    explanation of nature's diversity-skepticism of Darwinism- of evolution
    without plan, purpose, meaning or design. If ever ID becomes rigidly
    defined, it will probably become just another dogma.

    You speak of "undecidables". If they exist, and as an agnostic I suspect
    they do, they probably can't be addressed by reason, logical arguments or
    mathematical formulas. Perhaps the origin of the design happens to be one of
    those "undecidables". I realize you believe differently. You are convinced
    the designer must be your God, and you present a logical argument for such a
    belief. I respect that argument. The agnostic belief that the origin of
    the design is "undecidable" could also be argued. As for defining "science",
    I object to anyone claiming the authority to impose any such definition upon
    everyone with a desire to investigate nature. Science might be defined as
    any investigation of reality. If someone wants to define science as
    excluding the "supernatural", they must exclude free will, spontaneity, and
    creativity. I am convinced they all exist as a part of reality. However
    all three are at the present time"supernatural" in that science has no
    explanation for them - no way to measure or define them.

    Bertvan
    http://members.aol.com/bertvan