Just a Theory

From: Susan Brassfield Cogan (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 13:30:20 EDT

    The material below is quoted from (the notoroious) Dr. Lenny Flank's
    website. His debate style tends to resemble a man driving railroad
    spikes--when Bertvan said some evolutionist called her an "ignorant
    creationist pig" I immediately thought of him. Nevertheless, his website is
    well-researched, beautifully written and well worth reading. This is part
    of an essay called *Evolution: "Just a Theory"*. I very much wonder if
    Phillip Johnson has thought of the ideas in the second paragraph.

    --------
    As a complement to labelling evolution as "just a theory", the creationists
    also like to refer to their
    own particular outlook as a "model". Examination will quickly show that
    this is simply not
    true--creationism is not a scientific model in any sense of the word.
    Scientific hypotheses, theories
    and models are all based upon several fundamental criteria. First, they
    must explain the world as it is
    observed, using naturalistic mechanisms which can be tested and verified by
    independent
    observation and experimentation. Although the existence of God is not
    necessarily denied by science,
    supernatural explanations which are based upon the unseen actions of God
    are excluded from
    science as a matter of necessity. As biologist J.B.S. Haldane pointed out,
    science is dependent upon the
    assumption that the world is real and operates according to regular and
    predictable laws, which are
    not changed from moment to moment at the whim of supernatural forces: "My
    practice as a scientist
    is atheistic. That is to say, when I set up an experiment I assume that no
    god, angel or devil is going to
    interfere with its course." (cited in Montagu, 1984, p. 241) Geologist and
    theologian Dr James Skehan
    also notes, "I undertake my scientific research with the confident
    assumption that the earth follows
    the laws of nature which God established at creation . . . . My studies are
    performed with the
    confidence that God will not capriciously confound scientific results by
    'slipping in' a miracle!"
    (Strahler, 1987, pp. 40-41)

    In a manner similar to that of science, the actions of supernatural
    entities are also excluded from the
    legal arena--no person is permitted to argue in a US court that they are
    not responsible for a crime
    because Satan was in control of them, or that such and such a crime
    happened because it was the will
    of God. Neither system denies the existence of God, but both exclude God as
    an explanatory
    mechanism.

    The creationist idea that God divinely created the universe may or may not
    be true, but, by
    postulating a supernatural event which occurs outside of the natural laws
    of the universe, such an
    idea places itself firmly outside the realm of science. There is simply no
    experiment which can verify
    any of its assertions and no predictions of future data that can be drawn
    from this hypothesis, and
    those who hold such conclusions can do so only on the basis of faith. This
    is fine for a religious outlook
    or an ideology, but it has nothing at all in common with science.
    --------

    Susan

    The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our
    actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only
    morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life.
    --Albert Einstein

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/